Treasure Hunting in the 21st Century - This Time For Adults!
By [http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Brian_Topmark]Brian Topmark
When I was a kid I loved a good treasure hunt! I remember in the summer holidays, my elder siblings would create a 'hunt' for me. I would have a clue, and I would have to decipher the clue to find the next clue that was; from under my pillow to the next one in the airing cupboard. From there I'd have to go outside and check out something under the flower-bed...
It was all just a bit of fun, even if the end result was just a crappy old toy car. It wasn't about the end result - it was about the joy of going on a hunt for something. It was great fun! Somehow though, that phase stopped - I don't know why but I suppose when you grow old you fall out of these silly 'games'.
Well, who would have thought that 20 years later I could play the same game; this time with my mate in Vancouver, Canada or my mate in New Zealand. I can even play the game with a fellow geocacher 50 miles north of my home city.
This time though, I'm not using piece of paper with ink on them; I'm using my Handheld GPS device that my parents bought me. That's right I've just discovered rel=nofollow [http://handheld-gps.co.uk/content/3/geocaching.html]Geocaching.
Geocaching is a great game to play with anyone who knows how to read GPS co-ordinates, and with latest devices even your mum could figure out how to use them.
In brief, you take your ass to anywhere in the world whilst equipped with a Global Position System (GPS) receiver in your luggage. When you arrive at a suitable spot you hide an item (a crappy toy car if you wish!) and record your co-ordinates. This becomes a great laugh and is great for your friends or other fellow geocachers to find.
So, after your vacation you can then go back to your computer and email your friends the GPS co-ordinates. You don't have to leave the country though; you can use your local park or your local wildlife reserve. These 'little treasure' are called Geocaches. The game itself is generally referred to as "Geocaching".
There are many websites where you can publish your treasure, and thousands from across the globe can race to find your carefully hidden item and score points for how quick you find the item.
You can find a much more detailed explanation of [http://handheld-gps.co.uk/content/3/geocaching.html]Geocaching, plus many cool GPS receivers at Handheld GPS.
Article Source: [http://EzineArticles.com/?Treasure-Hunting-in-the-21st-Century---This-Time-For-Adults!&id=2028627] Treasure Hunting in the 21st Century - This Time For Adults!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment